Arbor Day Advice for Planting Trees and Shrubs
Whether or not you know it, trees provide a valuable service to your family, your community and the earth. Arbor Day is just a reminder of their contribution.
- Healthy trees provide a cooling effect, the same as 10 portable A/Cs running 20 hours a day.
- A vibrant tree planted on the west side of your property results in a 12 percent utility bill savings over 15 years.
- Mature trees dotting your landscape increases the value of your home – by some estimates, as much as 20 percent.
- A single acre of trees releases 4 tons of oxygen, while absorbing 6 tons of carbon dioxide.
- Strategically planting trees around homes and commercial buildings reduces A/C needs by 30 percent and lowers heating energy consumption by as much as 50 percent.
It turns out, trees play a significant role in helping you save energy and money, encouraging the conservation of natural resources, and assisting the environment.
Use a natural, organic product like Sweet Peet when planting trees and shrubs around your property. Here’s what you should do:
- Dig a hole. It should be roughly twice the size of the root of the tree you will plant in the area.
- Use the soil from the hole that you’ve dug and enrich it using this ratio: 20 percent Sweet Peet and 80 percent soil.
- Place the tree root into the hole.
- Fill the hole with the mixture of Sweet Peet/soil, evenly distributing it around the root ball.
- Water the tree.
- Prevent air pockets by firmly tamping around the tree.
Pro tip: If your property’s drainage capacity is poor, add coarse sand to the mixture. This will help promote new-root growth and enhance drainage. Some shrubs and trees will prefer a more acidic soil. If the landscaping you’ve chosen needs acidic properties, make sure to add some aluminum sulfate or muracid to the soil.
If you’re not confident in your tree- or shrub-planting abilities, check with your local garden center guru for recommendations on the trees and/or shrubs you’re going to plant to maximize your investment.
Click edit button to change this text.